- Self regulation skills by starting and stopping
- How to follow directions
- Getting exercise
- Music that can be stopped at random, unpredictable times
- Cards with “freeze” position cards
- Teacher holds up a position card while the music is playing
- The children ignore the position card and dance to the song
- Children stop dancing and “freeze” in the position of the card when the music stops
How the Freeze Dance May Change Over Time:
- Teachers can have children freeze in poses with a buddy.
- Teachers can play music that challenges children’s executive functions auditory (i.e., play song that has words that rhyme with “freeze”).
- Teachers can use red and green cards to challenge children’s executive functions visually.